|Home||» Products||» Anthracite Coal||» Anthracite Coal|
Technical Data Sheet
- Carbon: approx. 92 %
- Moisture: approx. 2.0 %
- Ash: approx. 3.5 %
- Volatile matter: approx. 5.5 %
- Acid Solubility (19% HCL) 0.5%
- Bulk density: approx. 730 kg/m³
- Bulk Volume 1.37 m3 per ton
- Density: 1.40 – 1.45 g/cm³
- Porosity: < 10 %
- Hardness: approx. 4 Mohs
- Hardgrove: 32 – 34° HGI
- Attrition Loss per 100 backwash : 0.05%
- Color - Black
- Type I: 0,8 – 1,6 mm
- Type II: 1,4 – 2,5 mm
- Type III: 2,0 – 4,0 mm
- Type IV: 3,5 – 7,0 mm
When compared with anthracite from Pennsylvania or other places our product is lighter and better in quality as a filter media Pl see chart below.
Other Anthracite Products
Specially graded ANTHACITE COAL serves as a Filter media for pre filtration and is having characteristics over conventional sand filtration and is economical in long term.
The double layer design replaces the conventional surface filtration by a volume filtration with considerable advantages resulting in clearly lower operation costs and lesser space requirements, higher adsorption capacity of solids, lower pressure loss, lower initial filter resistance and longer durability of the filter. It fulfils all requirements for modern water treatment and filtration technologies
Also in the largest seawater desalination plants of the world, our anthracite coal is preliminary used in the pre-filtration for the removal of turbidities, due to its high purity. It does not release any silicic acid to the water; thus the service life of the diaphragms in the reverse osmoses process is increased by a multiple.
Anthracite Coal is mainly used in single/ multi layer filtration
- For removing iron and manganese and for fine filtration especially after softening or rapid de-carbonization.
- For removal of suspended solids and turbidity like, removal of microscopically small algae from reservoir water in the course of drinking –water treatment ,
- For decreasing the phosphate loading of eutrophicated water through flocculation- filtration processes
- For protecting activated carbon filters , ion exchangers and reverse osmosis plants
- For advanced waste water treatment in wet or dry bed filters this can also be used as the sole material in the filter when the water quality requirements for preparing boiler water, industrial cooling water free of SiO2 must be fulfilled.
Because of its fractured shape, some sediment penetrates deeper into the bed. When compared to equivalent filter sand, which helps longer filter runs and less head loss. Backwash rates are also reduced. Anthracite coal filter helps to protect the Activated carbon filter bed, increasing its life span and thereby helping to reducing the total operating cost
Anthracite, because of its unique density can be used in multi-media filters and remain above heavier media such as Filter Sand or Manganese Greensand providing a pre filtration layer.
Advantages of Anthracite (Over conventional sand filter)
- Higher service flows and longer filter runs, good filtrate quality and less head loss than equivalent sand filters.
- Close attention to gradation, hardness and purity assures consistent and reliable performance.
- Unique density allows Anthracite to be combined with other filtration media in multi-media filters
- High abrasion resistance and bulk density
- Longer life owing to lesser clumping , a minimum of 25 years without loss of performance
- Removes suspended solids, turbidities, iron and manganese
- Easy to clean by back washing,
- Best free filter media for protecting Activated Carbon filters, Iron Exchangers, RO Plants
- High back wash velocity without wash-out loss
- Optimal separation of the filter layers during back washing
- Good separation of specifically heavy particles
- No adhesion of precipitated ferrous- and manganese compounds
- Does not release silica that may cause scaling of the RO membranes
- High acid- and temperature resistance
- Its surface is microscopically rough to even allow a biological filtration (removes Algae in drinking water)
- Compliant with international quality
- Low wash water consumption and lesser frequency of back wash requirements
- Increased filtration rate
- 98% hardness of the material result in lower abrasion
- Economical in longer term, reduced operating cost and longer life than any other filter media
- Complies with international quality
- Easy to clean, clean by backwashing and optimal separation of layers during backwashing
- The material also simplifies the regeneration of activated carbon filter when included as a supportive layer.
During the back washing of the filter we can assure the following advantages.
- Its high bulk density allows a high speed backwashing without wash water loss, at the same time trouble free separation of filter layers.
- High resistance to abrasion
- Excellent separation of the filter layers after back-washing
- Low tendency to clump
- No adhesion of precipitated iron, calcium or manganese compounds
- Fully functional between pH 3 to pH 12
- Lower backwash frequency
- Less space requirement